Wednesday, February 27, 2013

In some hot water..


After my date with pressure canning potatoes, I decided to do some hot water bath canning at home with some of my fruit. 

I never did understand why it is called canning when we are using jars, and using jars came before metal cans.......all those unanswered questions. ;)

 I had to get a little creative since I do not actually have a hot water bath pot, so I used my pasta pot.







I can fit 5 of the 8oz jars in the pot and it BARELY fits to fill the water level to above the jars, so I will either need to upgrade and buy a bigger pot or can everything into small portions. ;)



I made a blood orange marmalade with some almond extract and sugar in water.  Added some cornstarch to thicken it a bit. 




I canned the pineapples in nothing but water, no extra sugar.









 




I cooked the pears in light sugar and water to soften them.









To my delighted surprise every can sealed!  I was worried that they would not seal well with my makeshift set up, but I guess I got lucky. 



Labeled and Ready for my shelf! :)
HAPPY "JAR-ING"!! 




Blood orange Marmalade

Orange segments
water 
sugar
cornstarch
almond extract

put oranges in pan and add enough water to cover. Sprinkle sugar over them and bring to a boil.  add a tsp or so of corn starch and let boil until thickening and over half the water is gone. Add almond flavoring to taste and more sugar if you wish. 

put in clean warm jars to can.


Pears

peel and slice pears, remove the seeds.
cover in water
sprinkle sugar over them, bring to boil. 
Let boil 2-3 minutes or until the desired amount of soft.
use slotted spoon to fill the clean and warm jars with the pears only, then top off the jars with some of the liquid.


Pineapples

Cut into chunks
put in pan with water to cover.
bring to boil and immediately turn off the heat
use slotted spoon to put pineapple into clean and warm jars, then fill up with water.










4 comments:

  1. how did you "can" them? how long? did you really just boil it? how do you know if they sealed? i want to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked online for times. I had both batches in for about 20 minutes. I knew they sealed because they ping-ed after I took them out of the water and after pressing on the center of the lid after they cooled for over an hour they did not give. :) I could make a video if you would like. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i really want to try this! i want to can so bad! i found all this fun stuff on amazon to buy but if i can just boil it that's way cheaper!

      Delete
    2. You cannot hot water bath can everything, there are things that you HAVE to pressure can. You can pressure can everything though. So one of these days I will be buying a pressure canner to do everything just so that I have it. You have to pressure can meats and potatoes, etc. You can hot water bath can anything that is high acidic, ie: tomatoes, fruits, jellies, etc. So far that is all I have done, but It would be great to be able to can everything from cooked ground beef to homemade soups and stews, etc so that they do not require a freezer. That way if the power goes out I do not lose all my food. I am taking baby steps though. :)

      Delete