Thursday, February 7, 2013

Red Velvet Pancakes

I found myself in a bind recently, I had a quart of buttermilk that was going to go bad in 2 days.......what to do??
I had decided to make a big batch of buttermilk pancakes and then make some buttermilk biscuits to freeze for baking later.
I woke up early and was getting the buttermilk pancakes going when I decided to surprise my kids with some pink pancakes for valentines day, and then it hit me, that I just needed to make them red velvet pancakes. :)








So this is what I did:
I started with the buttermilk pancake recipe that I use.

Buttermilk Pancakes

3 cups Flour
3 Tbsp white sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt

3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Melt the butter in a liquid measuring cup. Then add the milk and eggs.
Then mix it all together and add the buttermilk.
Do not over mix, the key to fluffy pancakes is to leave it lumpy. 

To turn this recipe into Red Velvet Pancakes, you need to change just a few things. 
add an extra 1/2 cup flour, 2 Tbsp cocoa and 2 Tbsp sugar to the dry ingredients. 
When you have the measuring cup with the butter, eggs, and milk in it I add 2 dollups of sour cream to that and stir that together.  
When using a 2 cup measuring cup, you just need to top it off to 2 cups with the sour cream.
Then mix together and add the red food coloring to make it red. :)






This made some fantastic pancakes, and its totally worth the trip to the store to get some buttermilk. :)













Happy Eating!  
and in the words of Garfield:
"Next time a little less pan and a little more Cake!"





No comments:

Post a Comment