Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Spiced Citrus Pork Chops

My local meat market had a deal on some big fat pork chops.  I had to get me some. 
I wanted to try a version of a recipe that I used a long time ago and that did not go over very well. I wanted to use the idea, and make it better.  Well, not to pat my own back, but I succeeded!! :)



Pork Chops with Oranges and Pears
I took the raw Pork Chops and put them on a covered baking sheet.  The oven was at 350. 
I sprinkled them with cloves, paprika, and garlic salt with parsley.
Then I placed the segments of blood oranges and slices of pear along the top.  
(I ran out of orange segments so for the last two I put some ground mustard with horseradish on them.)
I then put them in the oven.










Garlic Mashed Sweet Potatoes


I served them with some Garlic mashed sweet potatoes. 
Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and put in pot of water. 
Bring to boil and let cook covered until the sweet potatoes are soft enough to slice with a fork easily.
Drain the potatoes and mash them.
Add butter, garlic salt with parsley, and pepper. 










Corn Meal Sauteed Green Beans
I also paired them with corn meal green beans
Take your fresh green beans and trim them, or just get some frozen green beans and thaw them. 
(most of the time you can saute frozen green beans just fine from frozen but because of the corn meal, you want them thawed so the extra moisture wont clump your corn meal too much)
Then heat your saute pan to medium, add olive oil, when the oil ripples, add the green beans and toss until covered with oil.
In a bowl mix corn meal and seasonings of choice together, then when the green beans are hot but not dried, sprinkle them with the corn meal mixture and toss. Then turn  the heat up so you can toast the outsides. 
(In this meal I used garlic salt and pepper only with the corn meal.  Other days I have used Paprika and garlic, Italian seasoning and sea salt, chili powder and sea salt, etc. You can play with the flavors until you find one you like the most.)






HAPPY COOKING!!


 You can do the same seasonings with Beef Steaks of Chicken breasts if you do not eat pork.





PORK CHOPS
5 pork chops
1 orange (any variety)
1/2 pear (any variety)
Cloves
Paprika
Garlic Salt (or sea salt and garlic powder)
Olive Oil

GARLIC MASHED SWEET POTATOES
2 sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
1/8 cup Butter
Garlic salt with parsley
Pepper

GREEN BEANS
Green beans 
Olive Oil
Corn meal
Garlic Salt
Pepper

I know there are not any amounts on here, but I didn't measure and it varies based on your preference and the amount you are making. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment