Thursday, February 21, 2013

A night of jarring fun. ;)

I left my kids with the hubby and took the night off to hang out with my friend and do some crazy exciting stuff.  Like all mom's do when they get the night off, we sat around talking. Then peeled and cooked potatoes and pressure canned them.  We had a blast!  

I had never pressure canned before. I had done a bunch of hot water bath canning growing up but never pressure canning, so when I got the chance to play with the pressure canning, I got excited. 




We peeled and diced a 5 lb bag of new potatoes, then boiled them until mostly soft. 

Whe then drained them and put them into jars, added some hot water and salt, then put the lids on and slipped them into the pressure caner.







 They cooked in the pressure caner for about 40 minutes.
 I got to take one home too!! 
 Very excited.  
 I really need to get into jarring my own foods.  Most of the time I freeze my food, but I like the idea of not taking up all my freezer space. :)

I have a bunch of apples left over, that I think I should jar up for later use. Maybe make some apple butter. :)





 Before we did the potatoes, we had some spaghetti and salad for dinner, then she made some banana pudding for dessert per request of her kids. After realizing that she did not have any vanilla wafers, the idea to use nutter butter bites instead sounded fabulous, and it turned out great!  :)  You just can't beat peanut butter banana pudding. :)








All in all, I had a great night out!  Thanks to my friend Kim for all the fun and pictures. :)

HAPPY PRESERVING!  :)

1 comment:

  1. i really want to get into canning. like super bad. i wonder how much a pressure cooker costs...

    ReplyDelete