Monday, March 4, 2013

FEED THE INTENSITY! ;)

Week 1 lunches
Week 1 Breakfast
It is official!! I have my first paying client as a culinary nutritionist! I am very excited to be expanding what it is that I love to do to being a personal chef to a man that is working to be a power lifter and body builder. It has been lots of fun and very different cooking for someone that has such a high caloric need each day.  I have been building him a folder of menus and favorites since I started last week and I am looking forward to building and perfecting a program to help others like him.  I had in the past helped women that were trying to lose fat and trim down their bodies, and I have helped a few people retrain their diets, but this is new and fun for me!  My client owns and runs a gym and really knows his stuff when it comes to working out and just the function of the body.  He has helped me with my goals and made me feel stronger and more confident in myself.  I love having the opportunity to know him and work with him not only with his diet but with building strength.




















Mustard Pork with Sweet Potatoes and Snap peas
For a body builders or power lifters, they are lifting heavy weights every day, and sometimes that means lifting more then their own body weight. That sort of strain on their body has a very different dietary need then someone that runs marathons, or the normal person that does a cardio/weight class or routine.  It requires a much higher caloric count per day and a larger percentage of protein per day as well. People that are heavy lifting and training, for them this is a long term goal, so there are the healthy issues that can arise if the protein you are getting is not the right sources. Keep in mine that heart health and cholesterol levels is all diet, and is not effected by what type of exercises you do. (Granted some exercises strengthen your heart more then others, but I am talking in general) If your protein comes from fatty meats then you will end up with elevated cholesterol levels.  So it is my goal to load his food with lean meats, healthy fatty proteins, and then lots of fiber to help with the cholesterol. So the days that he has a fattier breakfast food (bacon, etc) I paired it with some whole grain oatmeal with flax seeds. Topped with some pecans (healthy fatty protein) and some dried cherries. (vitamin c source and a simple carb)  It is those sorts of things that I am keeping in mind while building his menu.  



Fish Tacos with Black beans topped with sauteed onions and red sweet peppers.


















I pair fish tacos with black beans for after workouts for some lean meat, and the natural glutamine found in beans will help with workout recovery. Peppers and tomatoes have the vitamin C needed and then the avocado on top has some healthy fatty protein as well. :)   
Tomatoes, lettuce, and avocado/guacamole are packed separately to be added later when eaten. :)



I have been having a blast building his menus and cooking for him.  :)

Nut and dried fruit mixture for snacking















FEED THE INTENSITY!!!  :)
 (see what I did there??)
Week 2 drop off!
If you have any questions for him about working out or weight training, definitely check him out online. He has local and online coaching options, and has a passion for helping people get stronger and more fit in whatever your goals are!  :) 
He also has a facebook page as well that you can go "like" and get daily workouts!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you! I love hearing from my readers. Let me know if there is anything you would like to read about. I am always looking for ideas. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on this new job! I wish you lived closer so you could bring me my food every week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks T! Wish you lived closer too, you would get a kick out of what I have been up to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I can't believe you get paid to fix every meal for someone else! it's like being a MOM! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing breakfast, lunch, and two snacks a day for Monday-Friday for him. He runs his own gym and is there from 6am to 10pm all week and was eating Braums and fast food all day every day. Very bad for his goals of heavy lifting. :) I am having a blast, and so far he has loved basically everything I have made, which makes it so much fun for me. :)

      Delete