Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cornbread stuffing

I wanted to do a recipe that My sister posted on her blog and it called for a box of stuffing. Well, I had made it a challenge to not open a box of food for a month. (except spaghetti noodles. I can make those from scratch but I do not have the equipment at home)  So, I had to tackle making stuffing from scratch, and I decided to make cornbread stuffing so that my client could have some as one of his lunches as well. (he is on a very low to no gluten diet from me). :)  It was kind of a long process, but was very simple.  Want to know how I did it??  NO? Too bad, I am going to tell you any way. ;)



First, you need cornbread. I used whole wheat flour and corn meal. 

(I always buy the corn meal that is NOT treated with lime. There is no real need to have the chemical in your food and I don't like extra chemicals in my food. It works the same too, so no worries there) 





 



I used a 9x13 glass pan so that it would be thinner, then I cut it into cubes and put them in a bowl. Set aside for later.



 

 Celery, carrots, onions, and some garlic. Saute in butter until soft and starting to brown.

Add water and bring to a boil.  This is when I added some Italian seasoning and some sage to stew with the water and veggies. 

The recipe called for chicken stock, but I did not have any and it worked just fine with water, so if you dont want to add all that extra salt and calories, you can do it like this. :)



 



When it has boiled for about 5-10 minutes and all the veggies are soft and it smells yummy, then pour it over the cornbread. Start with half your cornbread cubes and then add all your liquid, then add more cornbread cubes until it is mixed good and not runny. 








2 eggs slightly beaten to the mixture and mix good.
Then add to a baking dish and put in the oven to bake. 














 Bake until golden brown.  You can chop it up and fluff it with some butter and salt and pepper to taste, then it is ready to eat.  



There are a TON of things you can do with it. You can add sausage and peppers to it before you bake it to give it a kick, or stuff it into a chicken to bake in there as well. Let me know what you do with yours. :)





Happy Eating!!



Recipe: Yields 9" Pie/Casserole dish of stuffing.
Cornbread:
1 C. yellow cornmeal
1 C. whole wheat flour
2-4 TBsp honey or sugar
4 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 C. milk
1 egg
1/4 C. vegetable oil

Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown all over.

Stuffing:

1 large or 2 medium/small carrots diced
1 celery stock diced
1/4 onion diced
1 clove or garlic minced
1/2 stick butter
1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp Sage
1/2 cup water
2 eggs 
Salt and pepper to taste
extra butter softened for fluffing
 
heat butter in medium sauce pan
add veggies and saute until slightly brown
add water and spices
bring to boil and boil for 5-10 minutes
cut cooked cornbread into cubes and put in bowl
pour boiling liquid over cornbread cubes and stir. They will fall apart more as they get wet, then add the 2 slightly beaten eggs and mix thoroughly.
put in a 9 inch pie or casserole dish and bake at 350 for 15-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Chop and fluff with fork and butter while warm.
Serve immediately or refridgerate for up to 3 days.
       
    








No comments:

Post a Comment