Thursday, August 30, 2012

Holy Chia!

 Have you ever tried something that just made you say "wow"?
At work we are now carrying a drink called Mamma Chia. This stuff is pretty cool.  if you look in the picture you can see the seeds in the drink. they are almost like the tapioca bubbles you get in places like fruitealicious and bubbles tea, but they are just chia seeds that have been absorbing the liquid that the sit in. Arcee (my 3 year old) had a reaction that cracked me up. Her eyes got wide and she rolled them around in her mouth and I was ready for whatever she spit out. But she LOVED it. In fact we damn near fought over the thing. It was fun to drink. So I got to thinking..... (because that is what I do best..)  I wanted to know more about chia seeds. I have never eaten them before, and knew that they grew those cool little chia pet things that I have had as a kid. (Im sure most of us have had one before, right?)


 






So, I went into research mode. First I started with what I was drinking. The blurb on the bottle did not give me much to go on. All it said was healthy for your soul and the environment and good for energy, vitality and strength.  But why?  and How??   




The nutrition label had a bunch of holes too. (but in a good way)  Organic ingredients. (not as important to me as all natural, but to be organic you have to be all natural, so that makes me happy.) Kind of high in calories for a drink for me since I have been trying not to drink my calories, but it is low in fat, and has zero cholesterol, and basically no sodium, a good amount of carbs, and 4g of protein.  Not bad. 95 mg of calcium, and 2500mg of Omega 3 too!  








At this point I am beyond curious, I am in full on go mode.  So when I got home I started looking up information about chia seeds.  I started with my trusty book. And I found...nothing. What?  Nothing?  My book has never let me down before?!?  

This Has gone to a whole new level.........
next is the trusty (?) internet.  
I found this: www.getchia.com/nutritional  I think a website that is named "Get Chia" can be trusted to have accurate information on chia seeds.  ;)

If you have some time check that site out, because I am only going to share the tip of the iceburg of benefits and knowledge about chia seeds. :) 
(copied from the website in their words and then my comments added. I take no credit for all this knowledge, just the putting it all together and explaining some of it.)

Nutritional Content
Nutritional Facts
Serving size: 20g (About 2 tbs):


Calories (Kcal) = 66
Protein (g) = 4.14
Total Fat (g) = 6.56
Saturated Fat (g) = 0.64
Trans Fat (g) = 0
Monounsaturated Fat (g) = 0.44
Polyunsaturated Fat (g) = 5.44
Omega-3 (ALA) (g) = 4.2
Omega-6 (Linoleic Acid) (g) = 1.24
Cholesterol (mg) = 0
Carbohydrates (g) = 7.5
Total Dietary Fibre (g) = 8.25
Soluble (g) = 1.07
Insoluble (g) = 7.18
Sodium (mg) = 0.42
Potassium (mg) = 140
Calcium (mg) = 142.8
Iron (mg) = 3.28
Phosphorus (mg) = 213.4
Magnesium (mg) = 78

Characteristics:

Light nutty taste, odorless, easy to add to recipes.


Chia seeds are an excellent source of fiber:

Thanks to its water retention capacity (WRC), its cationic exchange capacity (CEC), its organic molecule absorption capacity (OMAC), and its water absorption capacity (WAC), the fiber in Chia seeds has the ideal characteristics for the food industry, compared to other fiber sources such as flax seeds, vanilla sheath waste, and wheat bran.

Chia seeds as a protein source of high biological value:

Chia seeds contain 20% protein with all essential amino acids, which makes it a vegetal protein alternative with high nutritional, economic and versatile value.

**This is a big deal to me!  As someone that studies allergy and specialty diets it is great to find a non food source of a complete protein amino bond!  (that is not soy)   So far I thought quinoa was alone in that universe. :D

Chia Seed Benefits for Your Health

Chia is an evidence-based registered variety of Salvia hispanica L. and is nutritionally superior to flax and soy. Chia is the richest non-marine whole food source of Omega-3 and dietary fiber currently known to man.  Listed below are a few of the health benefits of chia seed.

**Again, that is huge!  the Largest non marine source of natural omega 3!  So for those that do not like fish or pill supplements, lets get you some chia seeds!  And without the marine source you can eliminate the risk of mercury.  I am currently excited about this. ;)

Assists Joint Function & Mobility:

With six times more calcium than milk, and with greater amounts of high-quality protein than the one found in soy, Chia also helps strengthen muscles and bones.

**A great idea for those of you that are sensitive to milk or dairy that need to get enough calcium in your diet!  

Improves Digestion & Natural Detoxification:

Chia can absorb a whopping 12+ times its weight in water – flax seed only absorbs 6-8 times its weight. Chia´s insoluble fiber reduces digestive transit time and removes toxins as it passes through the digestive tract.

**toxin build up in the intestines is a big factor in weight gain and water retention. So to be able to flush out the excess build up AND the toxins is very helpful to anyone. ;)

Supports Healthy Weight Loss:

Chia´s high fiber content and its ability to reduce blood sugar levels after meals inhibits the appetite, thus making it the perfect food for healthy, effective weight loss. Thanks to its neutral flavor and color, Chia integrates seamlessly into any healthy recipe.

** PLEASE be careful about what that says. It reduces the blood sugar. It does not regulate it or help you digest it. This could be a problem for those that are diabetic and have to regulate their blood sugar with insulin or those that are hypoglycemic. This could make your blood sugar drop too low too fast if you are not aware of this aspect of chia seeds.  (I am hypoglycemic and was wondering why I craved ice cream like crazy and got a headache about 30 - 40 minutes after I drank this. I did not realize why until I read this. Glad I know now.) 



Well, if you want a fun way to try chia seeds, then stop by your local Lifetime Cafe and pick one up!  And if it is a sunday and you are at the Lifetime Athletic location on Mockingbird and 75, then say HI to me when I sell it to you!  


Happy Eating, and HOLY CHIA!  ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment