Saturday, August 25, 2012

Eat Breakfast like a KING! (or Queen)

Many different sources tell you that to have a healthy metabolism and help your body lose excess weight you need to keep this in mind:   
Eat breakfast like a KING (or Queen), eat lunch like a PRINCE(ss), and eat dinner like a Pauper 
The reason for this is to get your body burning first thing in the morning and to sustain your energy for the day and then to taper off so that it will burn your excess fat for continued energy and needs through out the day and into the night. It is a very common mistake in dieting that you eat a very meager breakfast because you are motivated and being "good" on your diet, then maybe lunch is "good" too. Then around dinner time you are super hungry and craving sugar because your bodys blood sugar is low and it needs the energy. What happens next is that you lose your control and you snack and splurge on treats. Guilt hits next and then next day you do it all over again.  Well, STOP that!!  :)   I am here to tell you that you can eat breakfast like a QUEEN!  Get as many food groups in as you can in breakfast, with some good grains for the carbs and energy for the day, filling protein to get your metabolism burning for the day, and healthy fruit and veggies to fuel your immune system and bodies function.  
This is what I had for breakfast this morning. It is lacking in veggies because I eat crazy veggies throughout the day. (as you will see) ;)
 I had a 15 grain whole wheat piece of toast with a honey ham slice, cheddar cheese with an over easy egg and a slice of tomato.  Add the coffee and I am a happy girl. 
(This is still a small breakfast, but I eat twice, once when I get up, then once when I feed my kids breakfast. I will upload my second breakfast with description later.)






The importance of the over easy egg is not just a personal preference. There is natural vitamin D in egg yolk. The ONLY food source of vitamin D. But the kicker is that the vitamin D is destroyed by heat. (Ironic isn't it? Since the only other natural source of vitamin D is sun light.)
So poached eggs easy or over easy eggs allows you to retain about 90% of the natural vitamin D.  You also retain the cholesterol, but don't let that freak you out. (I will go into cholesterol in another post and tell you all the facts and myths about that. :)  For now just know that it is not the enemy you once thought.) 

Well, that is my tidbit of info for the morning, or as my mom used to say "something to chew on"  and since that pun works very well for a food and nutrition post, it may be my sign off for now. :)

So there is something to chew on.  
Have a great morning and don't forget to
 EAT BREAKFAST LIKE A KING! (or Queen)

1 comment:

  1. I had to try this the other day when I was at my parent's house. My mom cut a nice red ripe garden tomato and I remembered this post. It was amazing. Also, I did not know about he vitamin d. Thanks

    ReplyDelete