Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Chocolate and Wine.


For all the ladies out there.....

We have all been there....those days that we all hate.  We feel like eating everything in sight and crave chocolate and all those bad things for us. We bloat up and feel like crap.  It is so hard to keep to a weight loss plan or exercise when we feel like this. I went looking to see if there was any studies on the caloric difference in a woman's body during menstruation and found an article on the Livestrong.com site that I use to track my food and exercise. I wanted to share that with all of you. :)

*Food Intake

In the days before your period, it is likely that you are consuming extra calories. According to Weight Watchers, you intake an average of 100 to 200 calories more than usual before your period; however, the body compensates for these added calories by increasing your metabolic rate. Your metabolism increases about 5 to 10 percent in the days before menstruation.

  
*Calories During Menstruation

Physiologically there is no need for extra calories during your period; however, the food choices you make may be able to reduce the severity of the symptoms associated with menstruation. For example, FamilyDoctor.org recommends increasing your consumption of whole grain carbohydrates, fiber and protein while cutting back on sugar and fat. Reducing your intake of caffeine can reduce your mood swings and even reduce breast soreness. Eating smaller more frequent meals can also help reduce your symptoms.

(All I could think right here, was "great, just go ahead and list EVERYTHING I craved and ate today as the "Don't eat" list. I had coffee with my muffins, yes chocolate chip muffins to be exact, for breakfast, but was good and had a cobb salad for lunch and a tilapia salad for dinner. Then proceeded to have some milk and chocolate while doing this blog.  Go Me.  Tomorrow I will be wiser.)

*Bloating

Bloating is a common complaint for menstruating women. During your period, your body retains water, which leads to temporary weight gain. Limiting the amount of salt in your diet during the days before your period and during your period can help reduce the amount of water your body retains. Try to avoid adding salt to your food or eating extra salty processed foods. In general, you should try to limit your salt intake to between 1,500 and 2,300 mg per day.

*Food Cravings and Weight Control

Though it may seem like your body is telling you to eat more during your period, you can try to fight these cravings by choosing your food wisely. Certain foods can help keep you fuller for a longer period of time. High fiber foods absorb water as they pass through your digestive system, which can help fill you up for a longer period of time. Many high fiber foods also tend to be low-energy dense, which means you can eat a high volume without consuming a large amount of calories.


I love this suggestion to limit your salt and up your fiber. It is such good advice on a normal day, but can make such a big difference in water retention. So tomorrow I will have oatmeal for breakfast (oooooo, with some fresh peaches I have in my fridge too) and I will try not to have any coffee. (even though I just bought me more fat free coffee mate creamers that I love so much.) I will drink more water and try to stay away from salty things. I cant say the same for the sweet stuff because in between loads of laundry I will be making cookies and brownies for the dessert tray of the catering job I have for Labor Day. (wish me luck)  ;)

To counteract that, I should plan TWO workouts tomorrow. It looks like my schedule has the 10am fat burn fusion class that I love to do and then I can hit the gym again at 5:15 for the Fitness Pilates class after I walk to pick up the girls from school and help them with their homework.  That should erase the guilt of testing out cookies. ;)


Hope everyone has a great night!!  
Happy Menstruating to all you women out there! And remember to not let it get you down and ruin your plans for healthy living.    


1 comment:

  1. :) Love this! You kick that PMS craving's butt! I would also add some protein to your oatmeal plan! At least post fat burn fusion class!

    ReplyDelete