Thursday, October 11, 2012

CHIA Update!

Here is an update to the Chia post I had earlier. 

You can find Chia seeds in most whole food stores, and we even found some in our local Krogers, so I am hoping as the Health food craze kicks in that more places will be carrying it. :)

You can use Chia seeds as an EGG SUBSTITUTE!!  
Here is how:

1 Tbsp Chia seeds
3 Tbsp warm water
Let set for 10 minutes

It makes what is called a Chia GEL. 
Then you use that to replace one egg.  

I used that you replace the egg in cornbread and it was amazing!  It gave it a poppyseed sort of appearance with the little black seeds visible but it did not change the texture or the taste at all. (that was noticeable)   

From what I have gathered, the Omega 3,6,and 9 that are found in Chia seeds are NOT destroyed by cooking, and neither is the calcium.  It diminishes some of it, but it in no way takes it all away, so instead of the cholesterol and fat that the egg has you are trading that for basically no fat and no cholesterol of the CHIA gel and adding the Omegas and the Calcium. 

I love this idea!!  It was a great discovery.  I will be making my cornbread like this all the time. 

Next to try cake......  :D



Have a Happy Wednesday!
And remember,
Keep cooking and love what you eat!

p.s.  I also added 5 TBSP of chia seeds to my jug of Peach Snapple Tea and made something like the Mamma Chia at home. Little Arcee fights for all of it, she will steal her sisters cups while they are not looking.  But I love what it is adding to their diets and their health!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment