Thursday, August 8, 2013

Frozen romaine. Part two.

If any of you remember I vacuum sealed some chopped romaine lettuce and froze it to see if it would thaw out crispy so we could use it as chopped romaine, or if it would get droopy and I would cook it. 
Well, we are about to find out. 
Got out of the freezer at 1:30. 

By 3:30 it is obvious that it needs a hot wok and some garlic and peanut oil.  Sautéed greens goo really good with pork. Right, Grace?  ;)



Ok, it does not happen often, but this is proof that I can admit when I mess up.  

This.  Was.  Horrible.  :(

I have made fresh chopped romaine and and bok Choy with th same technique and spices I just used, but it became clear very soon that the water frozen in the lettuce Was just too much. It cooled down my wok and mushed it all out. The flavor was bad too.  

So, lesson learned.  
You CANNOT freeze romaine lettuce and use it afterwards.  

This learning experience brought to you by me, Chef Jaelanne, in hope that you won't waste your own romaine lettuce this way.  
I hate throwing away food. :'(



No comments:

Post a Comment