Sunday, January 27, 2013

Italian Chicken with Cream Rice and Green Bean Almondine

 It is amazing what you can come up with making when you are too tired to go to the store and you need to pull together whatever you have to make dinner. 
I had:
Chicken
Can of diced tomatos
Frozen green beans
Almonds
Bell peppers
Onions
Rice
Milk




 
I sliced up the bell peppers and onions and tossed them in a hot skillet and let them saute. Then I added the raw rice and pearled it. (a term used to brown raw rice in butter or oil. In this case I used olive oil)
When the rice was a light brown color and and the bell peppers and onions were soft then you add the water and bring to a simmer then cover and steam until done.










I made a tomato cream sauce while the rice was cooking. I heated some oil in a small pan and then added some flour. I mixed and browned that a little then added some milk. Bring that to a simmer stirring constantly and it will thicken. I then folded in some diced tomatoes and a little of the juice and then added sea salt and pepper to taste.






 



Add the cream sauce into the rice and add some Italian seasoning to taste.











I baked the chicken with some lemon juice, olive oil and taragon on it until cooked through.



The green beans were frozen which are good if you make sure to check the label and make sure there is no added salt. I put the green beans into the hot pan while still frozen and sprinkled the almonds on top of them. Then cover. The water from the frozen beans will steam the almonds and cook the beans.  Then just season to taste. :)








HAPPY COOKING!
Let me know if you try this out and how you like it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment