Monday, January 28, 2013

Breakfast of CHAMPIONS!

I LOVE Breakfast! It is my favorite meal of the day. I love waffles, and pancakes and all sort of breakfast breads there are, and even as a culinary nutritionist I would never allow or condone cutting them out entirely, for it would make such a sad morning meal indeed.  :)

BUT, on the flip side, it should be kept in a balance, for with balance we can enjoy all sides of our food without feeling cheated or withdrawn.  





So, with that in mind, let us look into some of my favorite healthy breakfasts. :)

A good healthy breakfast has two requirements: PROTEIN, and FIBER. 
Protein can be found in eggs, ham, bacon, sausage, avocados, etc
Fiber can be found in oatmeal, cream of wheat, hearty breads, spinach, asparagus, etc.

The key to a good breakfast is to balance your companions. Every food has a perfect pair.  For example, vitamin C is better absorbed into your body if paired with calcium rich foods. Healthy fats paired with high sugared foods can help regulate the blood sugars.  As well, there is a balance between saturated fat, cholesterol, and fiber.  Saturated fat is a fat that acts as a gateway for cholesterol to enter into your blood stream, and fiber is how it is cleaned out of your blood stream. (Soluble fiber)  
SO, lets think about this in a much less technical termed way.   Saturated fat is any fat that comes from something with a face. For example, animal meat, and dairy products. Cholesterol is also found in these same sources. If paired with good fiber, then you can control how much of that cholesterol stays in your blood stream. Also not adding any extra saturated fats helps too, so light or no butter, light or not cheese, etc. 
Now, to the fiber. I have found that most people hear the word Fiber, and they get this look on there face that clearly reads "I'm not eating cardboard."  Not sure where that started, but fiber is in almost every fruit and vegetable! Apples are very high in fiber both soluble and insoluble fiber but not something that most people think of when I tell them that we need to get more fiber in their diets. :)  I love to pair with some tomatoes, spinach, onions, mushrooms, peppers, etc. They are all good forms of soluble fiber that pair very well with meats and cheeses. 

So, now some great Ideas!!
Shown above is:  Spinach, yellow bell peppers, and onions sauteed together with some olive oil, then put on plate, use the same pan to scramble one egg. (or two if you wish) then I put the tomato slices on top and an avocado. This one I mixed up some guacamole because the avocado was a bit ripe and I am not one to waste food. :)


Other breakfast ideas:   
Remember, you can use the same few ingredients in a bunch of different ways so not to get too bored with it. That is what leads to failed "diets:


Sourdough toast with omelet and a slice of herb brie





 



Omelet with cheese served with peanut butter and strawberry whole wheat crackers. (not really shown in that picture)




 Homemade honey white bread with eggs, ham, sausage, cheese and tomatoes. Not really high in fiber or vegetables, but this is normally what I eat when I need to go to the store. :)
 





spinach, peppers, onion, mushrooms with scrambled eggs with tomatoes, avocados, and ham and cheese. 












Now, before you think I am some crazy person that can eat this healthy every morning, just keep in mind that I do NOT eat this every morning. I allow myself 1 or 2 breakfasts a week where I just eat the happy comfort foods of breakfast. Normally a Sunday morning when I cook for the family. :)  
Balance in everything! :)  









HAPPY EATING!
And GOOD MORNINGS TO YOU ALL!





No comments:

Post a Comment