Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Mincemeat Pie

I really have been on this old fashioned cooking kick. I have been looking up old recipes, and hand me down reciepes from "way make when" and trying them.  This one I got from Harry Potter. I kept seeing the little pies and wondered what they could be.  The few british people I know all said that they were mincemeat pies.  A festive dish.  So I set out to try some.  I went looking for some homemade recipes, but there were many mentions of this brand Nonesuch that makes a few comparable filling.  So I decided to give it a try.  :)



 I got some roll out dough from the store as well. I had decided that if i was going to just buy a filling, I would pick up some pie crust and save me some time. That way if I do not like it, then I wasn't out much. :)








I used a mini muffin pan and cut little circles from the dough and put them in the cups, then filled with the mincemeat pie filling.











Once they were all filled, I started cutting the left overs into little strips to make some tops for them.







No one wants to make tiny lattice work on pies, so I just did a simple star on each.  Made it pretty simple.  








I think they are pretty good. They are different and have some more spice then I think I would have used if I had made it from scratch, so the first bite is pretty intense, and then by the time you are done with the pie (for me that is 3 bites) then you are wanting more. :)  They are different, but pretty good.   I had to save some to take with me for the Holidays to share this traditional little pie with everyone!  



Happy Cooking! (and Baking)


On a side note, I am very sorry that there has been such a gap in my posts. I misplaced the power cord to my laptop and didn't want to abandon or start over on a few pretty technical posts. One is the natural sodium contents of fruits and veggies, and the other one is the casein in sausage and how that effects the people with milk sensitivities.  So I kept putting off doing anything thinking that I would find the cord, but it still hasnt shown up.  So thank you to my wonderful husband for letting me use his laptop while he is at work to do all this, and Now for playing catch up of all the things I have been baking and hopefully my cord shows up and I can get all that work off my laptop.  

No comments:

Post a Comment