Monday, April 8, 2013

Breakfast Bread Pudding. Attempt #1

I went to the Hilton Anatole and had one of the best breakfasts EVER!   I ordered the Eggs Benedict, and it came on an eggy, herb bread pudding, and I was in love!!!  I needed to try this!  
This is my first attempt. I believe that next time I will do a couple things different. I will specify throughout what I will be doing different next time and you can choose to try it either way. :)



First was the bread. I chose both a sourdough loaf and a rustic italian boule. Since the sourdough would be the most popular, I used it on the top and bottom and put the rustic boule in the middle. 
I cut it and layered it first, so that I know that it will all fit and I was ready to build it. 
Then I got the eggs together, with a large loaf pan and 3 layers I used 5 eggs, I think next time I might use more, it was on the dry side. I put Italian seasoning in the eggs and some pepper.
I poured the herb egg mix over the bottom layer, and then poured the excess back into the bowl. I think next time I will let all pieces of bread sit in the egg mixture for a few minutes, and then build the layers with the presoaked pieces. :)
To add some veggies to the meal, I layered spinach in between each layer of bread. 
When it was all built I put it in a 350 oven and cooked until the top bread started to brown a bit and the egg was cooked all the way through. To have the egg cooked all the way through the top piece got a little more brown and crispy then I wanted, but I think next time when I soak the bread more individually, it will cure that problem.  It tasted amazing and was really filling. 


I ate it with two fried eggs and some honey ham. As much as I LOVE hollandaise sauce, I am trying to lose weight, so I did not even make it. (I would not be able to just eat a little hollandaise sauce.)
I have a couple pieces of this batch left that I will poach eggs for and eat that way, I just wanted fried eggs this morning. 
My client got a slice of this with poached eggs and asparagus for one of his breakfasts, so we will see how he likes it. :)


Happy Monday, and good eating! :)

 
 








No comments:

Post a Comment